Friday, November 14, 2014

A Mother's (in-law) love


One of the biggest blessings I received was being whole-heartedly welcomed and accepted as family despite being a stranger. Thirty-three years ago,just before Christmas I appeared into the lives of Robbie and Betty Griffiths in Beer, Devon, UK. They did not know much about me as it was the first time they were meeting me, so they sat me down and kindly asked a few questions.  For folks who grew up with Victorian values (which is very conservative) , I was so taken aback with their calm demeanour posing questions to somebody whose origin seemed so foreign to them. Despite this seemed awkward situation, never was I made to feel uncomfortable nor intimidated.  Once it was made clear that their son, David and I were going to get married, I was told:Well, in that case you better call us Mum and Dad. From then on, I was treated more like a daughter than an in-law. 
Dad was a man of few words and had a very dry sense of humour. Coming from the Philippines with a strong American influence, at first, I struggled to understand and appreciate the British accent and sense of humour. But I was given allowances for my learning process. Because of their patience, I never felt uneasy asking about things I wasn't familiar with. 
When we were in the UK, we would go for day trips around Devon and Dorset which gave me an invaluable opportunity to know the places and enjoy their company.
 enjoy,
All through the years, Mum has been a mother who showed me what unconditional love is all about; a teacher, she taught me the British etiquette and the proper way of doing things, a mentor, from her I learnt so much about gardening and many handicrafts, a friend, who always had an open ear and mind to my troubles and a terrific Grandmother to my children.
Today marks the 8th year of her passing away. She maybe gone but she is always in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you got two minutes to write a comment?